- NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California at Berkeley, 1977-80
- Ph.D., Boston University, 1977
- B.S., Memphis State University, 1972
- Solar energy capture and conversion in natural and synthetic systems
- Energy and electron transfer in photosynthesis
- Structure and function of biological pigments and pigment-protein complexes
- The use of steady-state and ultrafast time-resolved optical spectroscopy and electron paramagnetic resonance as probes of the mechanisms of biological photoprocesses
- How plants and algae adapt to varying environmental conditions and deal with high-light stress
H. A. Frank and R. J. Cogdell. “Light Capture in Photosynthesis.” In: S. Ferguson, ed. Comprehensive Biophysics, Ch. 8.8, (2011) Elsevier, The Netherlands.
T. Polívka, S. Kaligotla, P. Chábera and H. A. Frank. “Intramolecular Charge Transfer State of Carbonyl Carotenoids: Implications for Excited State Dynamics of Apo-Carotenals and Retinal.” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. (2011).
D. M. Niedzwiedzki, M. Fuciman, H. A. Frank and R. E. Blankenship. “Energy Transfer in an LH4-like Light Harvesting Complex from the Aerobic Purple Photosynthetic Bacterium Roseobacter Denitrificans.” Biochim. Biophys. Acta (2011).
M. Fuciman, M. M. Enriquez, S. Kaligotla, D. M. Niedzwiedzki, T. Kajikawa, K. Aoki, S. Katsumura and H. A. Frank.. “Singlet and Triplet State Spectra and Dynamics of Structurally-Modified Peridinins.” J. Phys. Chem. B (2011).
Y. Zhang, A. M. LaFountain, N. Magdaong, M. Fuciman, J. P. Allen, H. A. Frank and J. F. Rusling. “Thin Film Voltammetry of Wild Type and Mutant Reaction Center Proteins from Photosynthetic Bacteria.” J. Phys. Chem. B (2011).
J. Pan, S. Lin, J. P. Allen, J. C. Williams, H. A. Frank and N. W. Woodbury. “Carotenoid Excited State Properties in Photosynthetic Purple Bacterial Reaction Centers: Effects of the Protein Environment.” J. Phys. Chem. B (2011).
D. Kosumi, T. Kusumoto, R. Fujii, M. Sugisaki, Y. Iinuma, N. Oka, Y. Takaesu, T. Taira, M. Iha, H. A. Frank and H. Hashimoto. “Ultrafast Excited State Dynamics of Fucoxanthin: Excitation Energy Dependent Intramolecular Charge Transfer Dynamics.” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. (2011).
T. Kusumoto, D. Kosumi, C. Uragamia, H. A. Frank, R. R. Birge, R. J. Cogdell and H. Hashimoto. “A Femtosecond Transient Absorption Spectroscopic Study on a Carbonyl-Containing Carotenoid Analogue, 2-(All-Trans-Retinylidene)-Indan-1,3-Dione.” J. Phys. Chem. A (2011).
D. Kosumi, T. Kusumoto, R. Fujii, M. Sugisaki, Y. Iinuma, N. Oka, Y. Takaesu, T. Taira, M. Iha, H. A. Frank and H. Hashimoto. “Ultrafast S1 and ICT State Dynamics of a Marine Carotenoid Probed by Femtosecond One- and Two-Photon Pump-Probe Spectroscopy.” J. Luminescence 131 (2011) 515-518.
M. M. Enriquez, M. Fuciman, A. M. LaFountain, N. L. Wagner, R. R. Birge and H. A. Frank. “The Intramolecular Charge Transfer State in Carbonyl-Containing Polyenes and Carotenoids.” J. Phys. Chem. B 114 (2010) 12416-12426.