- Ph.D., Dept. of Civil & Env. Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2000-2003
- M.S, Dept. of Civil & Env. Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1998-2000
- B. S. , Dept. of Architectural Engineering, Hanyang University, Seoul, South Korea, 1989-1996
- Finite element methods
- Dynamic simulation of blast and fire-resistant steel composites
- Reconstruction and modeling of 3D multi-phase microstructures
- Modeling of solid oxide fuel cells
- Modeling of multifunctional composite sensors
- ASEE Air Force Summer Faculty Fellowship, 2010
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2006
- Inaugural USACM & ASME PTC 60 Student Benchmark Competition Award, the Seventh U.S. National Congress on Computational Mechanics, July 2003.
- Young Researcher Fellowship Award in the Second M.I.T. Conference, June 2003
- Ambassadorial Scholar Award, The Rotary International, 1998-1999
C. Liu, J. DeWolf and J.-H. Kim, “Development of a New Cracked Mindlin Plate Element,” ISRN Civil Engineering, Research Article ID: 842572, 11pages, 2011.
L. Zhang and J.-H. Kim, “Higher-Order Terms for the Mode-III Stationary Crack-Tip Fields in a Functionally Graded Material,” ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, 78(1):011005 (10 pages), 2011.
G. Anandakumar and J.-H. Kim, “On the Modal Behavior of a Three-Dimensional Functionally Graded Cantilever Beam: Poisson’s ratio and Material Sampling Effects,” Composite Structures, 92:1358-1371, 2010.
G. Anandakumar, N. Li, A. Verma, P. Singh, and J.-H. Kim, “Thermal Stress and Probability of Failure Analyses of Functionally Graded Solid Oxide Fuel Cells,” Journal of Power Sources, 195(19):6659-6670, 2010.
G. Anandakumar and J-H. Kim, “A Thermomechanical Fracture Modeling and Simulation for Functionally Graded Solids Using a Residual-Strain Formulation,” International Journal of Fracture, 164:31-55, 2010.
G. Anandakumar and J.-H. Kim, “Dynamic, Modal and Wave Propagation Analyses of 3D Functionally Graded Continua,” Materials Science Forum, 631-632:17-22, 2010.
C. Liu, J. T. DeWolf and J.-H. Kim, “Development of a Baseline for Structural Health Monitoring and Seismic Evaluation for a Curved Post-tensioned Concrete Box Girder Bridge,” Engineering Structures, 31: 3107-3115, 2009
L. Zhang and J.-H. Kim, “A Complex Variable Approach for Asymptotic Mode-III Crack-Tip Fields in an Anisotropic Functionally Graded Material,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 76: 2512-2525, 2009.
J.-H. Kim and Amit KC, “A Generalized Interaction Integral Method for the Evaluation of the T-Stress in Orthotropic Functionally Graded Materials Under Thermal Loading,” ASME, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 75:051112, pages 8, 2008.
Amit KC and J.-H. Kim, “Interaction Integrals for Thermal Fracture of Functionally Graded Materials,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics,75(8):2542-2565, 2008.