- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2005
- M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2003
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Universidad Nacional de Colombia, 1997
- Topology and shape optimization for the design of structures and material systems
- Computational design of cellular solids
- Design with regards to localized failure modes and manufacturability
- Computational design of patient-specific bone scaffolds
- Design for additive manufacturing
- Caterpillar’s Move the Mountain Award for Method to Optimize Welding Sequences to Minimize Distortion, 2014
- General Scholarship for Graduate Studies Overseas, The Foundation for the Future of Colombia (COLFUTURO), 1999
Bryan Bell, Julian Norato and Daniel Tortorelli, “A Geometry Projection Method for Continuum-Based Topology Optimization of Structures”, Proceedings of the 14th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, Sep. 2012.
Julian Norato and Amy Wagoner Johnson, “A Computational and Cellular Solids Approach to the Stiffness-Based Design of Bone Scaffolds”, ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 133(9), 2011.
Chau Le, Julian Norato, Tyler Bruns, Christopher Ha and Daniel Tortorelli, “Stress-Based Topology Optimization for Continua”. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 41(4), p. 605-620, 2010.
Mariana Silva, Daniel A. Tortorelli, Julian A. Norato, Christopher Ha and Ha-Rok Bae, “Component and System Reliability-Based Topology Optimization Using a Single-Loop Method”. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 41(1), p. 87-106, 2010.
Shen Lu, Harrison M. Kim, Julian Norato, and Christopher Ha. “Analytical Target Cascading for Multi-Mode Design Optimization: An Engine Case Study”, Proceedings of the 4th AIAA Multidisciplinary Design Optimization Specialist Conference, 2008.
Julian A. Norato, Martin P. Bendsøe, Robert B. Haber and Daniel A. Tortorelli, “A Topological Derivative Method for Topology Optimization”. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 33(4-5), p. 375-386, 2007.
Julian A. Norato, Robert B. Haber, Daniel A. Tortorelli, and Martin P. Bendsøe. “A Geometry Projection and Optimality Criterion Method for Topology Optimization using the Topological Derivative”, Proceedings of the 6th World Congress on Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Rio de Janeiro, 2005.
Julian A. Norato, Robert B. Haber, Daniel A. Tortorelli and Martin P. Bendsøe, “A Geometry Projection Method for Shape Optimization”. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 60(14), p. 2289-2312, 2004.