- Ph.D., Yale University, 1965
- Advanced coatings technology development for enhanced durability and reduced cost in naval applications
- Superior thermal barrier coatings using a novel solution spray process
- Development of laser fluorescence as a non-destructive inspection technique for thermal barrier coatings
- Advanced thermal barrier coatings for industrial engines
- Thermal barrier coatings and metallic coatings with improved durability
- Cited in “Who’s Who In America,” “Who’s Who in Engineering,” and “American Men and Women in Science.”, current
- United Technologies Leadership Awards for High Temperature Coatings Work, 1993 and 1989
- ASM International Engineering Materials Award For Single Crystal Turbine Blade Development and Application, 1986
- United Technologies George Mead Gold Medal for Engineering Achievement, 1980
C. Muoto, E. Jordan, M.Gell, M. Aindow, Identification of Desirable Precursor Properties for Solution Precursor Plasma Spray, J. Th. Spray Tech., vol. 20, pp 802-806, 2011.
Dianying Chen, Eric H. Jordan, Michael Renfro, Maurice Gell. Dy:YAG Phosphor Coatings Using the Solution Precursor Plasma Spray Process. Journal of the American Ceramic Society. 92 (1), 2009, 268-271.
M. Gell et al, Thermal Barrier Coatings Made by the Solution Precursor Plasma Spray Process, J. Th. Spray Tech., vol. 17, pp 124-135, 2008 (SPPS TBC Review Paper).
F. Wu, E.H. Jordan, X. Ma, M. Gell, Thermally Grown Oxide Growth Behavior and Spallation Lives of Solution Precursor Plasma Spray Thermal Barrier Coatings, Surface and Coatings Technology, vol.
202, issue 9, 2008, 1775-1779.