- PhD Physics, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y, 1978
- M.S. Physics, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y, 1976
- MSc Physics ,St. Stephen’s College, New Delhi, 1974
- BSc Physics, St. Stephen’s College, New Delhi, 1972
- Semiconductor lasers, high speed optoelectronic devices, optoelectronic integrated circuits, cellular transmission and optical interconnection systems
- Tera-bit optical communication systems employing multiple channels at 100 Gb/s or higher data rate
- Wavelength transparent all optical networks
- Optical transmission using plastic optical fibers and
- Investigation of nonradiative recombination in far infrared lasers
- Airborne Fiber Optic Amplifier Award, 2002
- Spotlight Award from Government Communications for “Inverse Multiplexing”, 2000
- Member, Connecticut Academy of Science and Engineering, 1998
- Lucent President’s Award, 1998
- Lasers and Electro-Optics Society (LEOS) Distinguished Lecturer Award: “Optical Interconnection
- Technology for Large Computing and Switching Systems”, 1995
- International Society of Optical Engineers (SPIE), Fellow, 1993
- Optical Society of America (OSA), Fellow, 1986
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE), Fellow, 1990
P. Dua, K. Lu, N. K. Dutta and J. Jaques “Analog and Digital Transmission Using High-Power Fiber Amplifiers” Guided Wave Optical Components and Devices, Chapter 11, p173-180, Elsevier, 2005.
N. K. Dutta “Basic Principles of Laser Diodes in “Handbook of Laser Technology and Applications,” pp. 525-560, ed. C. Webb and J. Jones, Institute of Physics, 2004.
N. K. Dutta and K. Lu “Optical Modulators” in Encyclopedia of Optical Engineering, pp1752-1762, Marcel Dekker Inc., 2003.
N. K. Dutta and N. Choudhuri “Optical Sources for Telecommunication” Chapter 46, pp 46-1 to 46-30, in “Communications Handbook” CRC Press, 2002.
N. K. Dutta “Semiconductor Optical Amplifiers” in WDM Technologies: Passive Optical Components, Academic Press, NY, 2002, Ed. By A. K. Dutta, N. K. Dutta and M. Fujiwara.
N. K. Dutta “Long Wavelength Laser Source” in WDM Technologies: Active Optical Components, Academic Press, NY, 2002, Ed. By A. K. Dutta, N. K. Dutta and M. Fujiwara.
N. K. Dutta “Lasers, Amplifiers and Modulators Based on InP Based Materials” in “InP Based Materials and Devices : Physics and Technology” edited by O. Wada and H. Hasegawa, John Wiley and Sons. 1999.
N. K. Dutta, B. F. Levine, D. Vakhshoori, K.Y. Tu “Optical Data Links and Parallel Optical Interconnects” in “Optical Interconnection Technology” Gordon and Breach Pub. NY .
N. K. Dutta “Lattice Matched GaAs and InP -Based QW Lasers in “Properties of III-V Superlattices and Quantum Wells “Institute of Electrical Engineers, UK.
N. K. Dutta “Optical Sources” in “Communications Handbook” CRC Press, 1996.