Department of Mechanical Engineering
191 Auditorium Road
Storrs, CT 06269-3139
Phone: (860) 486-3647
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Rutgers University, August 1999
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Rutgers University, January 1997
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering (with Highest Honors), Rutgers University, May 1994
- Transport phenomena in the material processing of nanostructured materials
- Applications include advanced materials for energy applications (fuel cells, batteries, electrolyzers, solar cells), carbon nanomaterials, photonics and semiconductors
- Medal of Excellence Award for Distinguished Young Alumnus, School of Engineering, Rutgers University, 2010
- United Technologies Corporation Professorship in Engineering Innovation, School of Engineering, University of Connecticut, 2008-2010
- Research Excellence Award, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, University of Connecticut, 2007
- ASME Bergles-Rohsenow Young Investigator Award in Heat Transfer, 2006
- Army Research Office Young Investigator (YIP) Award, 2005
- Outstanding Faculty Award, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, University of Connecticut, 2004
- Outstanding Junior Faculty Award, School of Engineering, University of Connecticut, 2002
- Office of Naval Research Young Investigator (YIP) Award, 2001
- National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, 2001
- NRC Postdoctoral Fellowship, awarded 1999
- Harold K. Raisler Graduate Fellowship, 1994
- James J. Slade Research Scholar, School of Engineering, Rutgers University, 1994
- Dean’s Honor List, School of Engineering, Rutgers University, all semesters (1990-1994)
- Tau Beta Pi National Engineering Honor Society, 1993
- Golden Key National Honor Society, 1993
- Anne Sonnenblick Scholar, 1992
- New Jersey Garden State Scholar, 1990
H. Yan, Y. S. Chu, J. Maser, E. Nararetski, J. Kim, H.-C. Kang, J. J. Lombardo and W. K. S. Chiu, “Quantitative Phase Imaging at the Nanoscale by Scanning Hard X-Ray Microscopy,” Nature Scientific Reports, accepted, 2013.
A. M. Kiss, W. M. Harris, S. Wang, J. Vila-Comamala, A. Deriy and W. K. S. Chiu, “In-Situ Observation of Nickel Oxidation Using Synchrotron Based Transmission X-Ray Microscopy,” Applied Physics Letters, DOI: 10.1063/1.4789991, 2013.
G. J. Nelson, B. N. Cassenti, A. A. Peracchio and W. K. S. Chiu, “An Analytical Method for Dye-Sensitized Solar Cell Geometric Design,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 90, pp. 475-481, 2013.
Y.-C. K. Chen-Wiegart, W. M. Harris , J. J. Lombardo, W. K. S. Chiu and J. Wang, “Oxidation States Study of Nickel in Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Anode Using X-Ray Full-Field Spectroscopic Nano-Tomography,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 101, pp. 253901-1 – 253901-4, 2012.
M. E. Lynch, D. Ding, W. H. Harris, J. J. Lombardo, G. J. Nelson, W. K. S. Chiu and M. Liu, “Flexible Multiphysics Simulation of Porous Electrodes: Conformal to 3D Reconstructed Microstructures,” Nano Energy, vol. 2, pp. 105-115, 2013.
F. Abdeljawad, G. J. Nelson, W. K. S. Chiu, and M. Haataja, “Redox Instability, Mechanical Deformation, and Heterogeneous Damage Accumulation in Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Anodes,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 112, pp. 036102-1 – 036102-3, 2012.
J. Vila-Comamala, Y. Pan, J. J. Lombardo, W. M. Harris, W. K. S. Chiu, C. David and Y. Wang, “Zone-Doubled Fresnel Zone Plates for High-Resolution Hard X-Ray Full-Field Transmission Microscopy,” Journal of Synchrotron Radiation, vol. 19, pp. 705-709, 2012.
J. J. Lombardo, R. Ristau, W. H. Harris and W. K. S. Chiu, “Focused Ion Beam Preparation of Samples for X-ray Nanotomography,” Journal of Synchrotron Radiation, vol. 19, pp. 789-796, 2012.
L. Zhang, N. Xu, X. Li, S. Wang, K. Huang, W. H. Harris and W. K. S. Chiu, “High CO2 Permeation Flux Enabled by Highly Interconnected Three-Dimensional Ionic Channels in Selective CO2 Separation Membranes,” Energy & Environmental Science, vol. 5, pp. 8310-8317, 2012.
T. D. Myles, G. J. Nelson, A. A. Peracchio, R. J. Roy, B. L. Murach, G. A. Adamson and W. K. S. Chiu, “Species Transport in a High-Pressure Oxygen-Generating Proton-Exchange Membrane Electrolyzer,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 37, pp. 12451-12463, 2012.