- Ph.D. Iowa State University, Physical Chemistry
- B.A. St. John’s University, Minnesota, Chemistry
- Lyophilization of proteins and other pharmaceuticals – process, formulation and stability
- Solid state chemistry of proteins
- Dynamics in the glassy state and pharmaceutical stability
- Ebert Prize, 1977
- Busse Lecturer at the University of Wisconsin, 1983
- PDA’s “Best Paper of the Year” Award, 1989
- Eli Lilly & Co. “President’s Award”, 1996
- Enz Lecturer at the University of Kansas, 1998
- American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS) Research Achievement Award in Pharmaceutical Technologies, 2001
- Distinguished Pharmaceutical Scientist Award from the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS), 2010
Luthra, S.A., Shalaev, E.Y., Medec, A., Hong, J., Pikal, M.J. (2012) “Chemical Stability of Amorphous Materials: Specific and General Media Effects in the Role of Water in the Degradation of Freeze-Dried Zoniporide,” J. Pharm. Sci. 101(9), 3110-3123.
Padilla, A.M., Pikal, M.J. (2011) “The Study of Phase Separation in Amorphous Freeze-Dried Systems, Part 2: Investigation of Raman Mapping as a Tool for Studying Amorphous Phase Separation in Freeze Dried Protein Formulations,” J. Pharm. Sci.100(4), 1467-1474.
Patel, S.M., Pikal, M.J. (2011) “Emerging Freeze-Drying Process Development and Scale-Up Issues,” AAPS PharmSciTech 12(1), 372-378.
Murdande, S.B., Pikal, M.J., Shanker, R.M., Bogner, R.H. (2010) “Solubility Advantage of Amorphous Pharmaceuticals: I. A Thermodynamic Analysis,” J. Pharm. Sci. 99(3), 1254-1264.
Wang, B., Cicerone, M.T., Pikal, M.J. (2010) The Impact of Thermal Treatment on the Stability of Freeze Dried Amorphous Pharmaceuticals: II. Aggregation in an IgG1 Fusion Protein,” J. Pharm. Sci. 99, 683-700.
Abdul-Fattah, A.M., Kalonia, D.S., Pikal, M.J. (2007) “The Challenge of Drying Method Selection for Protein Pharmaceuticals: Product Quality Implications,” J. Pharm. Sci. 96(8), 1886-1916.