Meet Garvit Agarwal, 2018 Graduate Student of The Year

Garvit Agarwal is a Ph.D. student studying atomistic and mesoscale modeling of dynamic defect structure evolution during high strain rate loading. He is the recipient of the 2018 Graduate Student of the Year Award, for his exceptional work and dedication to the field of materials science and academic excellence since he joined us in 2014.

“I feel really honored to win the graduate student of the year award,” Garvit said. “I am extremely thankful to my adviser, Dr. Dongare, who not only gave me the opportunity to work on the novel research project but also constantly guided me and taught me a lot of things during the past four years of my graduate career at UConn.”

Associate Professor Avinash Dongare, Garvit’s advisor, said Garvit’s passion and work ethic helped contribute to his accomplishments.

“It’s great to see Garvit mature and grow as a researcher over the last four years,” Dr. Dongare said. “He is very passionate about learning new skills and is keen to put in the hard work required. It is very important for students to get as much exposure as possible while they are still in graduate school and Garvit is certainly making the most of it. His hard work and perseverance has opened up a lot of opportunities for my group to collaborate, and he is a leading researcher in the making. He certainly deserves the Graduate Student of the Year Award.”  Read the full MSE story.