Bryan D. Huey
Department Head and Professor
of Materials Science & Engineering
Department of Materials Science & Engineering
97 North Eagleville Road, Unit 3136
Storrs, CT 06269-3136
Phone:(860) 486 3284
Fax: (860) 486 4745
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: https://hueyafmlabs.mse.uconn.edu/
- Marshall-Sherfield Fellowship and NSF International Post Doctoral Fellow, Oxford University, UK, Dept. of Materials, 1999-2002
- Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania, 1999
- Tomographic AFM
- High Speed AFM
- Chalcogenide (Phase Change Memory) Switching Dynamics
- Ferroelectric Switching Dynamics
- Fuel cell electrode nanostructure
- Cellular response to nano/chemo/mechanical stimuli
- Performance of Nanostructured Photovoltaics
Awards and Service
- Conference Co-Organizer, Fall MRS, 2019
- Fulrath Award (American Ceramics Society), 2016
- Chair: Basic Science Division, American Ceramic Society, 2014/15
- Conference Co-Organizer: Electronic Materials and Applications, 2013
- VELUX Visiting Professor, Villum Foundation, iNANO Institute, Aarhus University, Denmark, 2011-2012
- Outstanding faculty member (teaching, research, service), UConn MSE, 2007
- NRC Fellowship, 2003-2004
- NSF International Postdoctoral Award, 2001
- Marshall-Sherfield Fellowship, 2000
- S. J. Stein Prize, outstanding Engineering Thesis, University of Pennsylvania, 1999
- Materials Research Society, graduate student Gold Medal, Fall 1998
- William S. Yerger Memorial Prize, outstanding graduate student, University of Pennsylvania, 1996
J.J. Steffes, R.A. Ristau. R. Ramesh, B.D. Huey, “Thickness Scaling of Ferroelectricity in BiFeO3 by Tomographic Atomic Force Microscopy,” PNAS, 1806074116, 2019.
M.R. Chowdhury, J. Steffes, B.D. Huey, J.R. McCutcheon, “3D printed polyamide membranes for desalination,” Science, 361 , 682-686, 2018.
K. Atamanuk, J. Luria, B. D. Huey, “Direct AFM-based nanoscale mapping and tomography of open-circuit voltages for photovoltaics,” Beilstein J. Nanotechnol., 9, 1802-1808, 2018.
R. Keech, L. Ye, J. L. Bosse, G. Esteves, J. Guerrier, J. L. Jones, M. A. Kuroda, B. D. Huey, S. Trolier-McKinstry, Declamped Piezoelectric Coefficients in Patterned 70/30 Lead Magnesium Niobate–Lead Titanate Thin Films, Advanced Functional Materials, 27 (9), 1605014, 2017.
J. Luria, Y. Kutes, A. Moore, L. Zhang, E. Stach, B. D. Huey, Charge Transport in CdTe Solar Cells Revealed by Conductive Tomographic Atomic Force Microscopy, Nature Energy, p. 16150 (1-6), 2016.
Y. Kutes, Y. Zhou, J. Bosse, J. Steffes, N. P. Padture, B. D. Huey, Mapping the Photoresponse of CH3NH3PbI3 Hybrid Perovskite Thin Films at the Nanoscale, Nanoletters, 16 (6), 3434-41, 2016.
J. T. Heron, J. Bosse, Q. He, Y. Gao, M. Trassin, L. Ye, J. D. Clarkson, C. Wang, J. Liu, S. Salahuddin, D. C. Ralph, D. G. Schlom, J. Iniguez, B. D. Huey, R. Ramesh, “Deterministic Switching of Ferromagnetism at Room Temperature Using an Electric Field,” Nature, 516, 370-73, 2014.
Y. Kutes, L. Ye, Y. Zhou, S. Pang, B. D. Huey, N. P. Padture, “Direct Observation of Ferroelectric Domains in Solution-Processed CH3NH3PbI3 Perovskite Thin Films,” JPCL, 5 (19), 3335–3339, 2014.
B. D. Huey, R. Nath, S. Lee, N. A. Polomoff, “High Speed SPM Applied for Direct Nanoscale Mapping of the Influence of Defects on Ferroelectric Switching Dynamics,” J. ACerS (& cover), 95  1147-1162, 2012.
S. Verma, B. D. Huey, D. J. Burgess, “Scanning probe microscopy method for nanosuspension stabilizer selection,” Langmuir, 25 (21), pp. 12481-7, 2009.
B. D. Huey, “AFM and Acoustics: Fast, Quantitative, Nanomechanical Mapping,” Annual Reviews of Materials Research, 37, 2007, p. 351-85