Department of Mechanical Engineering
United Technologies Engineering Building Room 376
Tel: (860) 486-4109
Fax: (860) 486-5088
Research Website: http://im.engr.uconn.edu/
- Habilitation (Venia Legendi) Graz University of Technology, Austria
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, CA
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, CA
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- Computational and experimental solid (bio)mechanics
- Finite element methods
- Biomechanics of cartilage and arteries
- Reliability prediction and design tools for MEMS
- Honorable Mention in the Poster Competition at the Frontiers in Bioengineering Symposium, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, September 2014
- United States Patent: US 7,979,237 Fracture Prediction for Crystalline Microstructures, 2011
- United States Patent: US D479,474 S Design for Process Device, 2003
Pierce, D.M., F.S. Maier, H. Weisbecker, C. Viertler, P. Verbrugghe, N. Famaey, I. Fourneau, P. Herijgers and G.A. Holzapfel, Human Thoracic and Abdominal Aortic Aneurysmal Tissues: Damage Experiments, Statistical Analysis and Constitutive Modeling, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 41: 92–107, 2015.
Weisbecker, H., D.M. Pierce and G.A. Holzapfel, A Generalized Prestressing Algorithm for Finite Element Simulation of Pre-Loaded Geometries with Application to the Aorta, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering, 30( 9):857–872, 2014.
Pierce, D.M., T. Ricken and G.A. Holzapfel, Modeling Sample/Patient-Specific Structural and Diffusional Responses of Cartilage Using DT-MRI, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering, 29(8):807-821, 2013.
Pierce, D.M., T. Ricken and G.A. Holzapfel, A Hyperelastic Biphasic Fiber-Reinforced Model of Articular Cartilage Considering Distributed Collagen Fiber Orientations: Continuum Basis, Computational Aspects and Applications, Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 16(12):1344-1361, 2013.
Pierce, D.M., B. Zeyen, B.M. Huigens and A.M. Fitzgerald, Predicting the Failure Probability of Device Features in MEMS, IEEE Transactions on Device and Materials Reliability, 11(3):433-441, 2011.