Jeffrey R. McCutcheon
Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering
191 Auditorium Road, Unit 3222
Storrs, CT 06269-3222
Phone: (860) 486-4601
Webcast: Jeff McCutcheon on Membrane Technology and Water Purification: youtube
- Ph.D., Yale University, 2007
- Membrane separations for sustainable water and energy production
- Emerging membrane technologies: Forward osmosis and pressure retarded osmosis
- Electrospun nanofibers for water and wastewater treatment applications
- Thin film composite membrane design and fabrication
- Polymeric membrane characterization
- Novel electrode design for microbial fuel cell
- Activated carbon nanofiber cloths
- Porous materials characterization
- Water technology for the developing world
- Named a DuPont Young Professor, 2013
- Solvay Advanced Polymers Young Faculty Award, 2011
- Environmental Protection Agency Early Career Award, 2011
- 3M Untenured Faculty Award, 2011
Huang, L., Bui, N., Meyering, M.T., Hamlin, T.J., McCutcheon, J.R., “Novel Hydrophilic Nylon 6,6 Microfiltration Membrane Supported Thin Film Composite Membranes for Engineered Osmosis”, Journal of Membrane Science 437, 2013, 141-149.
Huang, L., Manickam, SS, McCutcheon, J.R., “Increasing Strength of Electrospun Nanofiber Membranes for Water Filtration using Solvent Vapor”, Journal of Membrane Science 436, 2013, 213-220.
Bui, N.N., McCutcheon, J.R., “Hydrophilic Nanofibers as New Supports for Thin Film Composite Membranes for Engineered Osmosis”, Environmental Science and Technology 47, 2013, 1761-1769.
Butler, E., Silva, A., Horton, K., Rom, Z., Chwatko, M., Havasov, A., McCutcheon, J.R. “Point of Use Water Treatment with Forward Osmosis for Emergency Relief”, Desalination 312, 2013, 23-30.
Manickam, SS., Udayarka, K., Huang, L., Bui, N.N., Li, B., McCutcheon, J.R., “Activated Carbon Nanofiber Anodes for Microbial Fuel Cells”, Carbon 53, 2013, 19-28.
Manickam, S.S., McCutcheon, J.R., “Characterization of polymeric nonwovens using porosimetry, porometry and x-ray computed tomography”, Journal of Membrane Science, 407-408, 2012, 108-115.
Anastasio, D., McCutcheon, J.R. “Teaching mass transfer and filtration using crossflow reverse osmosis and nanofiltration: An experiment for the undergraduate unit operations laboratory”, Chemical Engineering Education, Winter 2012.
Huang, L., Bui, N., Manickam, S., McCutcheon, J.R., Controlling Nanofiber Morphology and Mechanical Properties Using Humidity, Journal of Polymer Science Part B: Polymer Physics 49, 2011, 1734-1744.
Bui, N. Lind, M.L., Hoek, E.M.V., McCutcheon, J.R., Electrospun Nanofiber Supported Thin Film Composite Membranes for Engineered Osmosis, Journal of Membrane Science 385-386, 2011, 10-19.
Arena, J., McCloskey, B., Freeman, B.D., McCutcheon, J.R., “Surface modification of thin film composite membrane support layers: Enabling reverse osmosis membranes for use in pressure retarded osmosis”, Journal of Membrane Science 375, 2011, 55-62