Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering
191 Auditorium Road, Unit 3222
Storrs, CT 06269-3222
- NIH Ruth L. Kirschstein Postdoctoral Fellow, Tufts University
- Ph.D., Case Western Reserve University (2010)
- Synthesis and structure-property relationships of multifunctional polymeric materials, such as those with self-healing, shape changing, or self-assembling properties
- Stimuli responsive polymers and networks, including liquid crystalline materials
- Natural and synthetic biomaterials
- Design and application of polymeric systems to modulate inflammation and promote healing
- National Institute of Health Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award, 2012
- Materials Research Society Graduate Student Silver Award, 2009
- American Chemical Society ICI Graduate Student Award in Applied Polymer Science, 2007
- National Science Foundation Graduate Student Fellowship, 2005-2008
Burke, K.A.; Mather, P.T. “Evolution of Microstructure during Shape Memory Cycling of a Main-Chain Liquid Crystalline Elastomer.” Polymer 2013, 54, (11), 2808-2820.
Heard, A.J.; Socrate, S.; Burke, K.A.; Norwitz, E.R.; Kaplan, D.L.; House, M.D. “Silk-based Injectable Biomaterial as an Alternative to Cervical Cerclage: An In Vitro Study.” Reproductive Sciences 2012 (Published online ahead of print December 27, 2012). DOI: 10.1177/1933719112468952.
Burke, K.A.; Mather, P.T. “Crosslinkable liquid crystalline copolymers with variable isotropization temperature.” Journal of Materials Chemistry 2012, 22, (29), 14518-14530.
McKenzie, B.M.; Wojtecki, R.J.; Burke, K.A.; Zhang, C.; Jakli, A.; Mather, P.T.; Rowan, S.J. “Metallo-Responsive Liquid Crystalline Monomers and Polymers.” Chemistry of Materials 2011, 23, (15), 3525-33.
Davis, K.A.; Burke K.A.; Mather P.T.; Henderson J.H., “Dynamic cell behavior on shape memory polymer substrates.” Biomaterials 2011, 32, 2285-2293.
Burke, K.A.; Mather, P. T. “Soft Shape Memory in Liquid Crystalline Elastomers.” Journal of Materials Chemistry 2010, 20, (17), 3449-3457.
McKenzie, B.M.; Miller, A.K.; Wojtecki, R.J.; Johnson, J.C.; Burke, K.A.; Tzeng, K.A.; Mather, P.T.; Rowan, S.J. “Improved synthesis of functionalized mesogenic 2,6 bisbenzimidazolylpyridine ligands.” Tetrahedron 2008, 64, (36), 8488-8495.
Burke, K.A.; Sivakova, S.; McKenzie, B.M.; Mather, P.T.; Rowan, S.J. “Effect of stoichiometry on liquid crystalline supramolecular polymers formed with complementary nucleobase pair interactions.” Journal of Polymer Science, Part A: Polymer Chemistry 2006, 44, (17), 5049-5059.
Gao, W.; Hagver, R.; Shah, V.; Xie, W.; Gross, R.A.; Ilker, M.F.; Bell, C.; Burke, K.A.; Coughlin, E.B. “Glycolipid polymer synthesized from natural lactonic sophorolipids by ring-opening metathesis polymerization.” Macromolecules 2007, 40, (2), 145-147.
Calvert, C.; Burke, K.A.; Suib, S.L. “Spontaneous and self-assembled line formations on silicon substrates with vanadium pentoxide sol-gels.” Journal of Physical Chemistry B 2005, 109, (47), 22685-22691.