Mazhar I. Khan
Department of Pathobiology
61 North Eagleville Road
Storrs, CT 06269-3089
Molecular Diagnostic Laboratory, Room A114
Tel: (860) 486-0228
- Postdoctoral Fellowship in Molecular Biology, University Of Georgia, Athens, 1987-88
- Ph. D. in Comparative Pathology, University of California, Davis, 1987.
- MPVM in Molecular Epidemiology, University of California, Davis, 1982.
- BVSc, BSc (DVM) in Veterinary Medicine, University of Punjab, Lahore Pakistan, 1970.
- Development of rapid molecular and sensor based diagnostic tests
- Development of DNA based vaccines for animal
- Development and immunogenicity studies of nanoparticle based vaccines
- Pathogeneses of avian influenza viruses
- Application and testing of novel nanoparticle based vaccines in animal models
- Chinese Government Friendship Prestigious Award, Beijing, China, 2013
- Qilu Friendship Award, Shandong Province, China, 2013
- Pakistan Research Presentation Award, Islamabad, Pakistan, 2008
- Guangxi Provincial Scientific Friendship Award, 2006
- Listed in Who’s Who in the South East, 1990-1994
- Listed in Who’s Who of Emerging Leaders in America, 1993
Duitama, J., D. M. Kumar, E. Hemphill, M. I. Khan, I. Mandoiu, and C. E. Nelson. PrimerHunter: a primer design tool for PCR-based virus subtype identification. Nucleic Acid Research. 37: 2483–2492. 2009;
Yi Peng, Zhixun Xie, Jiabo Liu,Yaoshan Pang, Xianwen Deng, Zhiqin Xie,, Liji Xie, Qing Fan, Jiaxun Feng and M. I Khan. Visual detection of H3 subtype avian influenza viruses by reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay. Virology Journal. 8:337. 2011.
Babapoor, S, T. Neef, C. Mittelholzer, T. Girshick, A. Garmendia, H. Shang, M. I. Khan, and P. Burkhard. A novel vaccine using nanoparticle platform to present immunogenic M2e against avian influenza infection. Influenza Research and Treatment. Volume 2011, Article ID 126794, 12 pages, doi:10.1155/2011/126794. 2011.
Huang Y, Khan MI., Măndoiu II. Neuraminidase Subtyping of Avian Influenza Viruses with PrimerHunter-Designed Primers and Quadruplicate Primer Pools. PLoS ONE 8(11): e81842.doi:10.1371/ journal.pone.0081842, 2013.
Zhang M, Xie Z, Xie L, Deng X, Xie Z, Luo S, Liu J, Pang Y, Khan MI. Simultaneous detection of eight swine reproductive and respiratory pathogens using a novel GeXP analyser-based multiplex PCR assay. J Virol Methods. 224: 9-15. 2015.
Luo, Sisi., Z. Xie, L. Xie, J. Liu, Z. Xie, X. Deng, L. Huang, J. Huang, T. Zeng, and M. I. Khan. Reverse-transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay for the sensitive and rapid detection of H10 subtype avian influenza viruses Virology Journal; 12: 145. 2015.
Karch, C., P., J. Li, C. Kulangara, S.M. Paulillo, S.K. Raman, S. Emadi, A. Tan, Z.H. Helal, Q. Fan, M. I. Khan, P. Burkhard, Vaccination with self-adjuvanted protein nanoparticles provides protection against lethal influenza challenge. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and medicine.13: (1), 241-251. 2017.
Helal, Zeinab H., J. Li, T. Girshick, and M. I. Khan. Duplex RT-Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification Assay for Simultaneous Detection of Influenza A Virus H6 and H9 Subtypes. Ann Virol Res 3(1): 1026. 2017.