Department of Materials Science & Engineering
97 North Eagleville Road, Unit 3136
Storrs, CT 06269-3136
Office: IMS 142
Phone: (860) 486-9253
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: http://weilaboratory.engr.uconn.edu/
- Postdoc Research Fellow Centre for Rehabilitation Science and Engineering, Queensland University of Technology, Australia, 1999-2002
- Postdoc Research Fellow Faculty of Engineering, Division of Materials Engineering, Kyoto University, Japan, 1998-1999
- Ph.D., University of New South Wales, Australia, 1998
- Fabrication of novel tissue engineering scaffolds for bone and osteochondral repair
- Biomimetic apatite and apatite/collagen coatings for bone repair and drug delivery: In vitro and in vivo tests
- Establishment of in vivo time-lapsed imaging platform for in situ visualization of cell-scaffold interplay during new bone formation and remodeling
- Dense apatite-polymer fiber absorbable composites for medium- and high-load bearing skeletal repair applications
- Elected as a member of the Connecticut Academy of Science and Engineering (CASE), 2013
- Women of Innovation Award, 2007
- Professional Excellence Awards, Educator of the Year, UConn, 2007
- Outstanding Department Member, Dept. of Materials Science and Eng., UConn, 2005
- KC Wong Research Fellowship of Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2004
D Clearfield, M Wei. Investigation of Structural Collapse in Unidirectionally Freeze Cast Collagen Scaffolds. J Mater Sci Mater Med, 27, 15, 2016.
C Hu, M Zilm, M Wei. Intrafibrillar mineralized hierarchical collagen/hydroxyapatite scaffold via a bottom-up approach. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research: Part A, DOI: 10.1002/jbm.a.35649, 2016.
ME Zilm, M Staruch, M Jain, M Wei. An intrinsically magnetic biomaterial with tunable magnetic properties. Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 2, 7176-5, 2014.
S-P Sun, M Wei, JR Olson, MT Shaw. A modified pultrusion process for preparing composites reinforced with continuous fibers and aligned hydroxyapatite nano needles. Polymer Composites, 36, 931-38, 2015.
MM Villa, J Huang, L Wang, DW Rowe, M Wei. Bone tissue engineering with a collagen-hydroxyapatite scaffold and culture expanded bone marrow stromal cells. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research: Part B – Applied Biomaterials, 103, 243-53, 2015.
MM Villa, L Wang, J Huang, DW Rowe, M Wei. Improving the permeability of lyophilized collagen–hydroxyapatite scaffolds for cell-based bone regeneration with a gelatin porogen. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, 3, 3081-90, 2015.
ST Bendtsen, M Wei. Synthesis and characterization of a novel injectable alginate-collagen-hydroxyapatite hydrogel for bone tissue regeneration. Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 3, 3081-90, 2015.
C Hu, L Zhang, M Wei. Development of biomimetic scaffolds with both intrafibrillar and extrafibrillar mineralization. ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering, 1, 669-676, 2015.
M Zilm, S Thomson, M Wei. A comparative study of the sintering behavior of pure and manganese-substituted hydroxyapatite. Materials, 8, 6419-6436, 2015.
E Kramer, E Itzkowitz, M Conklin, M Wei. A comparative study of the sintering and cell culture behavior of pure and cobalt-substituted hydroxyapatite. Bioceramics Development and Applications, 4, 077, 2014.