- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Minnesota, 2004-2006
- Ph.D. University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- M.Sc. Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, India
- Synthesize, characterize, and, thereby, achieve a fundamental understanding of new polymer-based organic and hybrid materials comprising tailored architecture and functionality.
- Development of new synthetic methodologies, modification of existing synthetic routes, multidisciplinary approach to structure-property evaluation, and advanced characterization tools are the overriding factors to rational material design.
- The general research focus areas will include steroid-based biocompatible polymers, responsive materials composed of ionic polymer organogels, and mono or bimetallic inorganic organic hybrid materials.
- Harnessing self-assembly and supramolecular chemistry that occur in the neat and solution states of these well-tailored functional materials, we seek to better understand and resolve some of the issues currently observed in targeted drug delivery vehicles, polyelectrolyte membranes, sensors, and responsive materials.
- MRS Boston 2010 Best Poster Award – Suk-kyun Ahn and Rajeswari M Kasi, 2010
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2008
- Graduate Admission Test for Engineers (GATE), All India Entrance Examination in Chemistry, Ranked 3 (declined fellowship), 1998
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)/University Grants Commission (UGC), Government of India Fellowship (declined fellowship), 1998
- Merit Scholarship, Department of Chemistry, IIT Madras, India, 8/1996-6/1998
- University Rank, University of Madras, India, 1996
Thilakarathne, V.; Briand, V.A.; Kasi, R.M.; Kumar, C.V., “Tuning Hemoglobin-Polyacrylic Acid Interactions by Controlled Chemical Modification with Triethylene Tetramine.” Journal of Physical Chemistry Part B, 2012, 116, 12783-12792.
Sharma, N.; Rubinder, R.K.; Zhou, Y.; Kasi, R.M., “Physical Gels of [BMIM][BF4] by N-Tertbutylacrylamide/Ethylene Oxide Based Triblock Copolymer Self-Assembly: Synthesis, Thermomechanical and Conducting Properties.” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2013, 128, 3982-3992.
Mudhivrthi, V.; Cole, K.; Novak, M.; Westley, K.; Deshapriya, I.; Zhou, Y.; Kasi, R.M.; Kumar, C.V., “Ultra-Stable Protein-Polymer Nanomaterials.” Journal of Materials Chemistry, 2012, 22, 20423-20433.
Briand, V.A.; Thilakarathne, V.; Kasi, R.M.; Kumar, C.V., “Novel Surface Plasmon Resonance Sensor for the Detection of Heme at Biological Levels via Highly Selective Recognition by Apo-Hemoglobin.” Talanta, 2012, 99, 113-118.
Zhou, Y.; Sharma, N.; Deshmukh, P.; Lakhman, R.K.; Jain, M.; Kasi, R.M., “Hierarchically-Structured Free-Standing Hydrogels with Liquid Crystalline Domains and Magnetic Nanoparticles as Dual Physical Crosslinkers.” The Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2012, 134, 1630–1641.
Ahn, S-k.; Gopinadhan, M.; Deshmukh, P.; Lakhman, R.K.; Osuji, C.O.; Kasi, R.M. “Cholesteric Mesophase in Side-Chain Liquid Crystalline Polymers: Influence of Mesogen Interdigitation and Motional Decoupling.” Soft Matter, 2012, 8, 3185-3191.
Ahn, S-k,; Kasi, R.M., “Exploiting Microphase Separated Morphologies of Side-Chain Liquid Crystalline Polymer Networks for Triple Shape Memory Properties.” Advanced Functional Materials, 2012, 21, 4543-4549.
Thilakarathne, V.; Briand, V.A.; Kasi, R.M.; Kumar, C.V., “Protein Polymer Conjugates: Improving the Stability of Hemoglobin with Poly(Acrylic Acid).” Langmuir, 2011, 27, 7663-7671.
Zhou, Y.; Ahn, S-k.; Lakhman, R.K.; Gopinadhan, M.; Osuji, C.O.; Kasi, R.M., “Tailoring Crystallization Behavior of PEG Based Liquid Crystalline Block Copolymers Through Variation in Liquid Crystalline Content.” Macromolecules, 2011, 44, 3924-3934.
Ahn, S-k.; Deshmukh, P.; Gopinadhan, M.; Osuji, C.O.; Kasi, R.M., “Side-Chain Liquid Crystalline Polymer Networks: Exploiting Nanoscale Smectic Polymorphism to Design Shape Memory Polymers.” ACS Nano, 2011, 5, 3085-3095.