Department of Materials Science and Engineering
97 North Eagleville Road, Unit 3136
Storrs, CT 06269-3136
Phone: (860) 486-4621
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: http://alpay.ims.uconn.edu
- Post-doctoral Research Scientist, Dept. of Materials and Nuclear Engineering, University of Maryland, 1999 – 2001
- Ph.D., University of Maryland, 1999
- Materials theory, computational materials science, and multiscale materials modeling
- Thermodynamics and kinetics of phase transformations in ferroelectric, ferromagnetic, and shape memory thin films and multilayer heterostructures
- Phase transformations in multiferroic systems
- Functionally graded smart materials
- Tunable dielectric materials for microwave devices
- Conducting oxides and materials for electrical contacts
- Multilayer polarizable semiconductor heterostructures
- Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor, 2020
- Elected Fellow of ASM International (FASM), 2020
- Elected Fellow of the American Ceramic Society, 2020
- UConn-The American Association of Professors (AAUP) Excellence in Career Research and Creativity Award, 2020
- General Electric Professor in Advanced Manufacturing, 2020
- Outstanding Faculty Advisor Award, University of Connecticut, 2013
- University of Connecticut Materials Science and Engineering Award for Teaching Excellence, 2013
- United Technologies Corporation (UTC) Professor in Engineering Innovation Award, 2008-2010
- Outstanding Junior Faculty Award of the School of Engineering, University of Connecticut, 2004
- National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award, 2001
E. B. Curry, S. Sahoo, C. Herrera, I. Sochnikov, S. P. Alpay, R. J. Hebert, B. G. Willis, J. Qi, and J. N. Hancock, “Optical response of nickel-based superalloy Inconel-718 for applications in additive manufacturing, J. Appl. Phys. 127, 245111 (2020); https://doi.org/10.1063/5.0006006
B. M. Hanrahan, J. Easa, A. Payne, Y. Espinal, S. P Alpay, H. Kareem, C. O’Brien, A. Smith, “Pyroelectric Energy Conversion on PbLa(Zr,Ti)O3 from Catalytic Combustion on Nanostructured Iridium Oxide at the Ferroelectric Phase Transition,” Cell Reports Physical Science 1, 100075 (2020); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.xcrp.2020.100075
K. Co, H. Khassaf, and S. P. Alpay, “Electrocaloric and Pyroelectric Properties of Barium Zirconate Titanate,” J. Appl. Phys. 127, 174102 (2020).
J Hung, S. K. Nayak, Y. Sun, C. Fennessy, V. K. Vedula, S. Tulyani, S. – W. Lee; S. P. Alpay, and R. J. Hebert, “Novel Al-X Alloys with Improved Hardness,” Materials & Design 192, 108699 (2020)
Sahoo. U. Anene, S. K. Nayak, and S. P. Alpay, “Electronic and Optical Properties of Zinc based Hybrid Organic-Inorganic Compounds, Mater. Res. Express 7, 035701 (2020).
Li, C. P. Schulthess, K. Co, S. Sahoo, and S. P. Alpay, “Influence of Octahedral Cation Distribution in montmorillonite on Interlayer Hydrogen Counter-Ion Retention Strength by DFT Simulations,” Clays Clay Miner. (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s42860-019-00038-9
K. Reid, S. P. Alpay A. V. Balatsky, and S. K. Nayak, “First Principles Modeling of Topological Insulators: Structural Optimization and Exchange Correlation Functionals,” Phys. Rev. B. 101, 085140 (2020).
A. Patel, K. Co, R. J. Hebert, and S. P. Alpay, “Ferroelectric Films on Metal Substrates: The Role of Thermal Expansion Mismatch on Dielectric, Piezoelectric, and Pyroelectric properties,” J. Appl. Phys. 126, 134103 (2019).
E. Nykwest and S. P. Alpay, “Towards Magnetic Alumina: Uncovering the Roles of Transition Metal Doping and Electron Hybridization in Spin Delocalization,” J. Phys.: Condens. Matter. 31, 245801 (2019).
A. Ghosh, D. P. Trujillo, H. Choi, S. M. Nakhmanson, S. P. Alpay, and J-X. Zhu, “Electronic and Magnetic Properties of Lanthanum and Strontium Doped Bismuth Ferrite: A First-Principles Study,” Scientific Reports 9, 194 (2019)
K. Co, F. Sun, S. P. Alpay, and S. K. Nayak, “Polarization Rotation in Bi4Ti3O12 by Isovalent Doping at the Fluorite Sublattice,” Phys Rev. B. 99, 014101 (2019)
S. K. Nayak, C. Hung, R. J. Hebert, and S. P. Alpay, “Atomistic Origins of Guinier-Preston Zone Formation and Morphology in Al-Cu and Al-Ag Alloys from First Principles,” Scripta Mater. 162, 235 –240 (2019)