Department of Nutritional Sciences
Roy E. Jones Building, UNIT 4017
3624 Horsebarn Road Ext.
Storrs, CT 06269-4017
Advanced Technology Laboratory, Room 211A
Tel: (860) 486-2180
- Summer Research Fellowship, University of Maryland, Summer 2011
- Ph.D. 2012, in Nutrition and Food Science, University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- M.S. 2009, in Food Science, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China
- B.S. 2006, in Food Science, Hunan Agricultural University, Changsha, Hunan, China
- Design nano- and micro-sized drug delivery systems from natural macromolecules (proteins and polysaccharides) for food bioactive compounds
- Explore in vivo fate of nanoparticles after digestion, including cellular uptake and transport, blood circulation, etc
- Evaluate drug delivery systems for their efficacy to prevent chronic diseases, using both animal models and clinical studies
- Develop nanoformulations to provide novel dietary interventions for health promotion
Awards and Honors
- Associate Editor, Journal of Food and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2014 – present
- Lead Guest Editor, BioMed Research International. Special Issue: Biodelivery Systems for Diseases Prevention, 2014
- Editorial Board Member, Austin Journal of Nutrition and Food Science, 2014 – present
Luo Y, Wang Q. (Invited Review) Zein-based micro- and nano-particles for drug and nutrient delivery: A review. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 2014, 131, 40696.
Luo Y, Wang Q. Recent development of chitosan-based polyelectrolyte complexes with natural polysaccharides for drug delivery. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 2014, 64, 353-367.
Luo Y, Wang Q. (Invited Review) Recent advances of chitosan and its derivatives for novel applications in food science. Journal of Food Processing and Beverages, 2013, 1, 13.
Luo Y,Zhang Y, Pan K, Critzer F, Davidson P, Zhong Q. Self-emulsification of alkaline-dissolved clove bud oil by whey protein, gum arabic, lecithin, and their combinations. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2014, 62, 4417-4424.
Pan K, Luo Y,Gan Y, Zhong Q, Beak S-J. pH-driven encapsulation of curcumin in self-assembled casein nanoparticles for enhanced dispersibility and bioactivity. Soft Matter, 2014, 10, 6820-6830
Gotta R, Luo Y, Wang Q, Lamp W. Development of a biopolymer nanoparticle-based method of oral toxicity testing in aquatic invertebrates. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 2014, 104, 226-230.
LuoY,Pan K, Zhong Q. The functional properties and biological activities of casein hydrolysates: effects of enzyme types and hydrolysis time. Food Chemistry, 2014, 155, 146-154.
Zhang Y, Niu Y, Luo Y, Ge M, Yang T, Yu L, Wang Q. Fabrication, characterization and antimicrobial activities of thymol-loaded zein nanoparticles stabilized by sodium caseinate-chitosan hydrochloride double layers. Food Chemistry, 2014, 142, 269-275.
Luo Y,Teng Z, Wang Q. The cellular uptake and transport of zein nanoparticles: Effects of sodium caseinate. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2013, 61, 7621-7629.
Luo Y, Wang T, Teng Z, Chen P, Sun J, Wang Q. Encapsulation of indole-3-carbinol and 3,3’-diindolylmethane into zein/carboxymethyl chitosan nanoparticles provides controlled release and improves their stabilities. Food Chemistry, 2013, 139, 224-230.