UConn Health Center
263 Farmington Avenue
Farmington, CT 06030
Email: email@example.com Web: http://facultydirectory.uchc.edu/profile?profileId=Khan-Yusuf
- Ph.D. Drexel University
- M.S. Drexel University
- B.A. Boston University
- Treatment of musculoskeletal defects, particularly bone defects, due to trauma, congenital defects, or other anomalies
- Development of biocompatible and biodegradable scaffolds capable of sustaining cellular migration, proliferation, and differentiation
- Investigating strategies to synthesize scaffolds that are also capable of delivering proteins and growth factors essential for complete and adequate healing of bone defects.
- Whitaker Travel and Professional Development Award
- Tissue Engineering Special Interest Group Graduate Student Award, Society for Biomaterials Annual Meeting, Reno, NV
- Orthopaedic Special Interest Group Graduate Student Award, Annual Meeting, Tampa Bay, FL
- Calhoun Fellow, 2000-2005
- Certificate of Recognition
“Regenerative Engineering.” Laurencin, Cato T; Khan, Yusuf (2012) Science translational medicine 160 (4) 160ed9.
The Enhancement of Bone Allograft Incorporation by the Local Delivery of the Sphingosine 1-Phosphate Receptor Targeted Drug FTY720.” Petrie Aronin, Caren E; Shin, Soo J; Naden, Kimberly B; Rios, Peter D; Sefcik, Lauren S; Zawodny, Sarah R; Bagayoko, Namory D; Cui, Quanjun; Khan, Yusuf; Botchwey, Edward A (2010) Biomaterials 25 (31) 6417-24.
“Tissue-Engineered Matrices as Functional Delivery Systems: Adsorption and Release of Bioactive Proteins from Degradable Composite Scaffolds.” Cushnie, Emily K; Khan, Yusuf M; Laurencin, Cato T (2010) Journal of biomedical materials research. Part A 2 (94) 568-75.
Functionalization of Chitosan/Poly(Lactic Acid-Glycolic Acid) Sintered Microsphere Scaffolds via Surface Heparinization for Bone Tissue Engineering.” Jiang, Tao; Khan, Yusuf; Nair, Lakshmi S; Abdel-Fattah, Wafa I; Laurencin, Cato T (2010) Journal of biomedical materials research. Part A 3 (93) 1193-208.
“Barriers to Timely Screening Colonoscopy: The Role of Health Insurance.” Mohammad, Amir; Khan, Yosef (2010) Connecticut medicine 4 (74) 201-6
“A Critical Assessment of the Clinical Efficacy and Cellular Response to Low Intensity Pulsed Ultrasound for Fracture Repair” Laurencin CT, Khan Y (2010) Advances in Science and Technology (76) 195-206.
“Biodegradable Polyphosphazene-Nanohydroxyapatite Composite Nanofibers: Scaffolds for Bone Tissue Engineering.” Bhattacharyya, Subhabrata; Kumbar, Sangamesh G; Khan, Yusuf M; Nair, Lakshmi S; Singh, Anurima; Krogman, Nick R; Brown, Paul W; Allcock, Harry R; Laurencin, Cato T (2009) Journal of biomedical nanotechnology 1 (5) 69-75.
“Induction of Angiogenesis in Tissue-Engineered Scaffolds Designed for Bone Repair: a Combined Gene Therapy-Cell Transplantation Approach.” Jabbarzadeh, Ehsan; Starnes, Trevor; Khan, Yusuf M; Jiang, Tao; Wirtel, Anthony J; Deng, Meng; Lv, Qing; Nair, Lakshmi S; Doty, Steven B; Laurencin, Cato T(2008) Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 32 (105) 11099-104.
“Fracture Repair with Ultrasound: Clinical and Cell-Based Evaluation.” Khan, Yusuf; Laurencin, Cato T (2008) The Journal of bone and joint surgery. American volume (90 Suppl 1) 138-44.
“Tissue Engineering of Bone: Material and Matrix Considerations.” Khan, Yusuf; Yaszemski, Michael J; Mikos, Antonios G; Laurencin, Cato T (2008) The Journal of bone and joint surgery. American volume (90 Suppl 1) 36-42.