- Post doctoral felow in Materials Science – Lehigh University, 2003-2005
- Ph.D in Materials Science & Engineering – Indian Institute of Science, 1998 – 2003
- MSc. in Chemistry , University of Hyderabad, 1996 – 1998
- Polymer-hydrogel matrices for tissue engineering
- Oxygen tension controlled matrices for enhanced bone regeneration
- Engineering bone-cartilage interface
- Advanced composite and structure design for tissue engineering and regenerative medicine
- Clinically relevant tissue engineering methods
- Inter-Campus Research Incentive Grant Award, University of Connecticut, CT, 2009
- University Grants Commission Fellowship, Indian Institute of Science, India, 1998-2003
- Post Doctoral Fellow, Orthopedic Surgery, University of Virginia, 2005-2008
- Post Doctoral Fellow, Materials Science & Engineering, Lehigh University, 2003-2005
Nukavarapu SP, Dorcemus D. “Osteochondral Tissue Engineering: Current Strategies and Challenges.” Biotechnology Advances, 2012 [Epub ahead of print].
Igwe J, Mikael P, Nukavarapu SP. “Design, Fabrication and In Vitro Evaluation of a Novel Polymer-Hydrogel Hybrid Scaffold for Bone Tissue Engineering.” J Tissue Eng Regen Med. 2012 [Epub ahead of print]
Amini AR, Adams D, Laurencin CT, Nukavarapu SP. “Optimally Porous and Biomechanically Compatible Scaffolds for Large Area Bone Regeneration.” Tissue Eng Part A. 2012; 18:1376-88.
Amini AR, Laurencin CT, Nukavarapu SP. “Differential Analysis of Peripheral Blood- and Bone Marrow-Derived Endothelial Progenitor Cells for Enhanced Vascularization in Bone Tissue Engineering.” J Orthop Res. 30, 1507-15, 2012.
Amini AR, Laurencin CT, Nukavarapu SP. “Bone Tissue Engineering: Recent Advances and Challenges.” Crit Rev Biomed Eng. 40(5), 363-408, 2012.
Nukavarapu SP, Amini AR. “Optimal Scaffolds and Effective Progenitor Cells for the Regeneration of Vascularized Bone.” IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology, 2464-2467, 2011.
Mikael P and Nukavarapu SP. “Functionalized Carbon Nanotube Composite Scaffolds for Bone Tissue Engineering: Prospects and Progress.” Journal of Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering. 1, 76-85, 2011.
Jiang T, Nukavarapu SP, Deng M, Jabbarzadeh E, Kofron MD, Doty SB, Abdel-Fattah WI, Laurencin CT. “Chitosan-Poly(Lactide-Co-Glycolide) Microsphere Based Scaffolds for Bone Tissue Engineering: In Vitro Degradation and In Vivo Bone Regeneration Studies,” Acta Biomaterilia 6, 3457-70, 2010.